Current events: Politics, Religion and all in between.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

I had a unique experience at church yesterday, the day before Memorial Day, May 27, 2012. The service included a patriotic song "God Bless America," and then they asked for those to raise their hand who had served in the military. Since I had been in the Army, I raised my hand. I looked around and there weren't very many others.

Then the pastor ask the congregation to lay hands on those who had raised their hands as he prayed. That's when it hit me! I first felt like an imposter. I had been in service in peace-time and never was in any combat. I was in the Signal Corps and when orders came for me to go into confict, my Col. resended them because, as he said: "we need you here."

I was beginning to feel guilty, because those laying hands on me thought that I had survived a war; that I was a hero. Then I realized that I represented the U. S. Army, to them, a point of contact. This made me feel at least useful, but I discounted in my mind that my service was in any way to be compared with those who gave their lives for our country.

I went into the service of our country willingly, and I was already a licensed engineer, so I was placed where they needed an engineer and I served my country to the best of my ability there, but never had to fight.

I have had some time to think about all the feelings I had when "standing in" for what I call the true heros, and I am beginning to understand. It takes a lot of people to run an army, and the position I was in was in support to them. Without communications, they could have real problems.

I'm grateful for the opportunity and the abilities God gave me to serve in this capacity, but I never had to really lay my life on the line. I have great graditude for those who did and PLEASE AMERICA, let it NEVER HAVE BEEN IN VAIN.

Jay Hartline   Who?